Sunday 5 September 2010

Day 17 Douglas to Moffat

Sunday 5th September 2010

There was very little traffic around early this morning. I continued along the B7078, which was almost deserted, using the wide cycle lane on the disused half of the old dual carriageway. I only saw only one cyclist, and he was using the road for some reason. The first few miles passed through barren moorland, it was five miles until I saw the first house of the day.

After 7 miles of walking I came across the Abington Motorway Services (you can get access even if you're not using the motorway). I decided to stop there for an early lunch break as opportunities to buy food and drink looked like they could be few and far between in this region. After leaving the services I passed through Abington itself, I was surprised to see a sign saying it was Scotland's highest village.

The whole day would be spent passing through lowly populated rural areas, the complete opposite to yesterdays urban route. A stiff wind was blowing in my face much of the time, but the sun was poking through the clouds quite often and it was dry. At one point you see a big T-shaped plantation on a hill overlooking the motorway, I wondered if it was anything to do with Tennent's Lager, the T being the same shape as that on their cans, best sellers in Scotland.

Late in the afternoon I reached Moffat, where I had decided to camp for the night in a caravan park. This lively little town was a much better place to stop than yesterday's choice, having many pubs and restaurants to cater for hungry tourists.

My body is still holding up well with the demands of the walk, but the same can't be said of my boots. I've noticed the soles are wearing out much more quickly than I'd expected. It won't be long before I have to buy a new pair.

GPS data click here

Mileage today; 26.28 miles, walking time 6 hrs 22 mins, average walking speed 4.1 mph

Weather; sunny spells, windy

Cumulative mileage; 369.08 miles
Abington claims to be Scotland's highest village
For several miles in the morning I walked along this empty cycle path next to a
very quiet road through unpopulated moorland

Arriving in pretty Moffat


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Exmouth, Devon, United Kingdom
Hi :) I'm a 49yo father of three from Exmouth, a lovely seaside town in Devon. In parts of Exeter I'm well known as the local milkman where I've been making traditional doorstep deliveries for 15 years.